“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
The Writers’ Studio dedicates itself to offering classes, inspiration, and the support of community to all the apprentices in the craft of writing.
If you are a new member of BARN or an existing member and you want to be involved in the Writers’ Studio or gain fob access to the writers’ room, what do you do next? Please email Amelia Ramsey to schedule a Welcome to the BARN Writers’ Studio session.
Once you have fob access, you may use the studio anytime a class, event, or meeting is not scheduled. Consult the Full Studio Calendar for open times.
Please see Member Benefits in the left-hand column.
We have designed a curriculum around two types of offerings: Mastering the Craft and The Business of Writing. Monthly, we also offer Roundtables, Forums, or Salons.
(Click on a title for more information or to register)
- Children’s Publishing 101 with Jolie Stekly
- Discovering and Developing Character: Do You Know Who I Am? with Dinah Manoff and Warren Read
- Speculative Fiction with Kathleen Alcala
- Marketing for Indie Writers with A.C. Fuller
- The Art of the Personal Essay with William Kenower
- A Step-by-step Guide to Self-publishing with Beth Jusino
- The Art and Craft of Setting with Megan Chance
- Mastering Point-of-View in Fiction with Anne Clermont
- Playwriting Lab with Kristina Sutherland
- Writing Extraordinary Poems about the Ordinary with Lauren Davis
- How to Build a Digital Presence for Writers with Antonio Garcia
- The Emotional Craft of Fiction: How to Tell the Story Beneath the Surface with Donald Maass
- Your Wrote a Book. Now What? Understanding Today’s Publishing Choices with Beth Jusino
- Historical Fiction for the Contemporary Reader with Kathleen Alcala
- The Art of Autobiographical Writing with Janee J. Baugher
- The Short Story with Warren Read
- Demystifying Plot with Michele Bacon
Writers’ Roundtables, Forums, or Salons will take place on the fourth Thursday of each month from 7:00 – 8:30 pm and are free for members. Non-members pay a $5 fee. Please register for a specific monthly topic.
March Forum–Topic to be announced
June Roundtable–Topic to be announced
July Forum–Topic to be announced
September Forum–Topic to be announced
October Roundtable–Topic to be announced
Studio Lead: writers.lead@BainbridgeBARN.org
Important things to note:
Please CLICK to subscribe to our periodic newsletters!
Writers’ Studio Phone:
Please note that no permanent staff is maintained to answer the studio phone.
WRITERS’ STUDIO TEACHERS & EVENTS
- Open Submission Calls
- Publishing Resources
- Jane Friedman on Query Letters
- How to Write a One-Page Synopsis
- Punctuation Tips
- Grammar and Language Tips
- Editing Checklist
- More Editing Tips
- Formatting a Manuscript
- Great Books on Writing
- Writers on Writing
- Website and Blogging Resources
- Creative Writing Software
- Our Amazing Local Book Community