The Writers Studio offers classes, inspiration, and community for writers of all skill levels. Whether you are beginning a writing journey, mastering the craft of writing or learning the business in order to become a published author, the Writers Studio is here for you.
In an effort to help curb the spread of the novel coronavirus, BARN will be closed through April. All the April classes and events in the Writers’ studio have been cancelled including writing times and critique groups. Fobs will be deactivated for the month. We still have classes on the calendar for May and will keep you updated on the status of those classes.
Third Thursdays are free for BARN members and $5 for non-members. Join us for inspiration, cookies and tea.
Word Sprint (a timed writing session) takes place from 9:30 to 11:30 on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Wednesday and Friday mornings are reserved for Quiet Writing Time from 8:00 until noon. A number of Writing Groups have also formed focusing on different genres. Some have reached their maximum numbers; others are open for new participants.
If you are a BARN member and want to have fob access to the Writers Studio, you can attend an orientation on either the first or third Tuesday of each month. The orientations are scheduled for 11:30am. If you cannot attend at either of those times, please send an email to set up another time.
Completing the orientation will allow you to use the room for your own writing whenever a class, event, or meeting is not scheduled. Come by or consult the Calendar for open times.
We welcome your participation and value your ideas and suggestions.
(Click on a title for more information or to register)
- Introduction to Writing TV Pilots with Stephen Wallenfels (will be rescheduled to August 1)
- It’s Not Your Mother’s Nancy Drew:Writing Middle Grade Fiction with Kirby Larson
- Advanced Marketing for Indie Writers with A.C. Fuller
- Contemporary YA: Writing books from the heart (and what readers, agents and publishers are looking for today) with Jennifer Longo
- Researching and Crafting Nonfiction for Children with Clare Meeker
- For Youth: Creating Comics with Billy Simms
- Demystifying Plot: Raising the Stakes and Getting Unstuck with Michele Bacon
- Pitch Your Book So That Publishers Pay Attention: Mastering the Hook, the Synopsis, and the Verbal Pitch with Beth Jusino
- Beginning, Middle, End: Structuring Your Novel with Susan Wiggs
Sallie Maron: writers.lead@BainbridgeBARN.org
Please CLICK to subscribe to our periodic newsletters.
Writers’ Studio Phone: Please note that no permanent staff is maintained to answer the studio phone. 206-842-4475, ext. 215.
Teachers, Events, and Writing Groups
- Publishing Resources
- Jane Friedman on Query Letters
- How to Write a One-Page Synopsis
- Punctuation Tips
- Grammar and Language Tips
- Editing Checklist
- More Editing Tips
- Formatting a Manuscript
- Great Books on Writing
- Writers on Writing
- Website and Blogging Resources
- Creative Writing Software
- Our Amazing Local Book Community