The Writers’ Studio offers classes, inspiration, and community for writers of all skill levels. Whether you are beginning a writing journey, mastering the craft of writing or learning the business in order to become a published author, the Writers’ Studio is here for you.
If you are a BARN member, our online journal Context is now accepting submissions for the summer edition. It’s a wonderful opportunity to showcase your work–whether it is your writing or sharing the story behind your art work. There are several other categories from which to choose. Among them are creative prompts. You can find the submission form here. The next submission deadline is November 22.
Our first annual Ars Poetica at BARN show was a colorful collaboration with the Fiber Arts Studio. You can also see a digital copy of the poems and art work at this link: Ars Poetica Exhibit 2020
When BARN reopens, members can schedule an orientation to have access to the Writers Studio. You can send an email to set up a time for the orientation. Completing the orientation will allow you to use the room for your own writing whenever a class, event, or meeting is not scheduled.
We welcome your participation and value your ideas and suggestions!
Upcoming Classes and Events
(Click on a title for more information or to register)
- Salon with Martha Salinas (9/16)
- The Stakes Must Be Death with Maureen McQuerry: Fueling the Emotional Core of Your Story (9/18)
- Break Your Poem to Make it Better with Lauren Davis (9/23)
- Writing in a Nutshell: Picture Books for Children with George Shannon (9/25 & 10/9)
- Pitch Your Book So That Publishers Pay Attention with Beth Jusino (9/25)
- Creative Memoir Journaling with Chelsea Leah (9/30)
- Youth Maker Mondays: Comic Connections with Sarah Neff (Ages 12-18) (10/4-1/18)
- Crafting Fictional Characters from Real Life Folks with Jennie Shortridge (10/16)
- Would you read it on your deathbed? Poetry with Gary Lilley (10/16)
- A Deep Dive Into Scene Structure with Lorin Oberweger (10/23)
- Write, Read and Respond with Julie Gardner: Fall into Writing, A Generative Series (10/26-11/16)
- Truth Matters with Laura Bowers and Ann Holmes Redding: Finding the Courage to Write Your Story (10/30-11/20)
- Chapter One: An Analysis with Warren Read (11/4)
- Your Life is a Story: The Art of Memoir with William Kenower (11/6)
- Third Thursday: Garth Stein in Conversation with Lynn Brunelle (11/18)
- Writing an Artist’s Statement with Dinah Satterwhite (11/20)
- The New Nature Poem: Critical Approaches to Writing about the Natural World with Erin L. McCoy (12/9)
- Salon with Martha Salinas (12/16)
Mary Sloat: [email protected]
Please CLICK to subscribe to our periodic newsletters.