The Writers’ Studio offers classes, inspiration and community for writers of all skill levels. Whether you are beginning a writing journey, mastering the craft of writing or learning the business of how to become a published author, the Writers’ Studio is here for you.
Classes, Roundtables, and Salons are open for everyone. Word Sprint (timed writing sessions) takes place on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. A number of Writing Groups have also formed focusing on different genres. Some have reached their maximum numbers; others are open for new participants.
If you are a BARN member and want to have fob access to the Writers’ Studio, please email Amelia Ramsey to schedule an orientation.
Completing the orientation will allow you to use the room for your own writing whenever a class, event, or meeting is not scheduled. Come by or consult the Calendar for open times.
We welcome your participation and value your ideas and suggestions.
(Click on a title for more information or to register)
- The Emotional Craft of Fiction: How to Tell the Story Beneath the Surface with Donald Maass
- You Wrote a Book. Now What? Understanding Today’s Publishing Choices with Beth Jusino
- Writing an Artist’s Statement with Dinah Satterwhite
- Partners in Crime: Police Practices for Writers with Sandra Terhune-Bickler and Steven Bickler
- Summer Youth: Creative Writing and Photography for Teens with Dinah Satterwhite
- Poetry of Place with Jodie Hollander
- Flash Fiction: A Short-Short Story with Janee J Baugher
- Historical Fiction for the Contemporary Reader with Kathleen Alcala
- Writing to Sell: A Persuasive Approach with Emily McCaffrey
- Writing Children’s Picture Books with Jennifer K. Mann
- See Your Manuscript through an Editor’s Eyes with Jenn Hager
- Jump Start Your Memoir with Erica Bauermeister
- The Short Story with Warren Read
- Demystifying Plot with Michele Bacon
- The Art of the Sentence/The Art of the Paragraph with Priscilla Long
- The Many Faces of Conflict: Crafting the Multi-Dimensional Antagonist with Julie Christine Johnson
Roundtables and Salons take place on the fourth Thursday from 7:00 – 8:30 PM and are free for members. Non-members pay a $5 fee. Please register for a specific monthly topic.
June Roundtable–Writing for Audio Drama
October Roundtable–Topic to be announced
Studio Lead: writers.lead@BainbridgeBARN.org
Please CLICK to subscribe to our periodic newsletters.
Writers’ Studio Phone: Please note that no permanent staff is maintained to answer the studio phone. 206-842-4475, ext. 215.
WRITERS’ STUDIO TEACHERS & EVENTS
- Publishing Resources
- Jane Friedman on Query Letters
- How to Write a One-Page Synopsis
- Punctuation Tips
- Grammar and Language Tips
- Editing Checklist
- More Editing Tips
- Formatting a Manuscript
- Great Books on Writing
- Writers on Writing
- Website and Blogging Resources
- Creative Writing Software
- Our Amazing Local Book Community