The Writers Studio offers classes, inspiration, and community for writers of all skill levels. Whether you are beginning a writing journey, mastering the craft of writing or learning the business in order to become a published author, the Writers Studio is here for you.
It’s a New Year and you’ll find lots of inspiration in upcoming classes and events. New this year, the Writers Studio will present Third Thursdays. Mark your calendars because each month you’ll have the opportunity to learn from and enjoy an author, a reading, or your fellow writers. On February 20, we are excited and honored to host David Guterson for our first evening.
Third Thursdays are free for BARN members and $5 for non-members. Join us for inspiration, cookies and tea.
Word Sprint (a timed writing session) takes place from 9:30 to 11:30 on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Wednesday and Friday mornings are reserved for Quiet Writing Time from 8:00 until noon. A number of Writing Groups have also formed focusing on different genres. Some have reached their maximum numbers; others are open for new participants.
If you are a BARN member and want to have fob access to the Writers Studio, you can attend an orientation on either the first or third Tuesday of each month. The orientations are scheduled for 11:30am. If you cannot attend at either of those times, please send an email to set up another time.
Completing the orientation will allow you to use the room for your own writing whenever a class, event, or meeting is not scheduled. Come by or consult the Calendar for open times.
We welcome your participation and value your ideas and suggestions.
(Click on a title for more information or to register)
- After Mary Oliver: Discovering Other Poets Who Inspire with Michele Bombardier
- Humor Workshop: “Chaos Remembered in Tranquility” with Bob Balmer
- Write, Read, Respond (with workshop option) with Julie Gardner
- Dive into Children’s Publishing–Writers Tips and Resources with Jolie Stekly
- Creating Memorable Characters: Beyond Blue-Eyed Blond and Tall Dark and Handsome with Megan Chance
- Third Thursday: A Conversation with David Guterson
- 46 Self Editing Tips for Your Work in Progress with Beth Jusino
- Weaving Fact with Fiction: How to Make It Work with J.A. Jance
- Needle Pulling Thread: How to Craft a Novel Beginning with Julie Christine Johnson
- Marketing for Indie Writers with A.C. Fuller
- Dipping Our Toes In: For New Poets with Lauren Davis
- Third Thursday: A Conversation with Bonny Becker
- Partners in Crime: Police Culture, Characters, and Anecdotes with Sandy Terhune-Bickler and Steve Bickler
- Putting Torque Into Your Poem’s Opening Lines with Gary Copeland Lilley
- Indie Publishing on Amazon: The Absolute Basics with Amelia Ramsey
- Fearless Writing Workshop with William Kenower
- It’s Not Your Mother’s Nancy Drew:Writing Middle Grade Fiction with Kirby Larson
- Advanced Marketing for Indie Writers with A.C. Fuller
- Contemporary YA: Writing books from the heart (and what readers, agents and publishers are looking for today) with Jennifer Longo
- For Youth: Creating Comics with Billy Simms
- Demystifying Plot: Raising the Stakes and Getting Unstuck with Michele Bacon
- Pitch Your Book So That Publishers Pay Attention: Mastering the Hook, the Synopsis, and the Verbal Pitch with Beth Jusino
Sallie Maron: writers.lead@BainbridgeBARN.org
Please CLICK to subscribe to our periodic newsletters.
Writers’ Studio Phone: Please note that no permanent staff is maintained to answer the studio phone. 206-842-4475, ext. 215.
Teachers, Events, and Writing Groups
- Publishing Resources
- Jane Friedman on Query Letters
- How to Write a One-Page Synopsis
- Punctuation Tips
- Grammar and Language Tips
- Editing Checklist
- More Editing Tips
- Formatting a Manuscript
- Great Books on Writing
- Writers on Writing
- Website and Blogging Resources
- Creative Writing Software
- Our Amazing Local Book Community