The Writers Studio offers classes, inspiration, and community for writers of all skill levels. Whether you are beginning a writing journey, mastering the craft of writing or learning the business in order to become a published author, the Writers Studio is here for you.
Classes, Roundtables, and Salons are open for everyone. Word Sprint (a timed writing session) takes place from 9:30 to 11:30 on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Wednesday and Friday mornings are reserved for Quiet Writing Time from 8:00 until noon. A number of Writing Groups have also formed focusing on different genres. Some have reached their maximum numbers; others are open for new participants.
If you are a BARN member and want to have fob access to the Writers Studio, you can attend an orientation on either the first or third Tuesday of each month. The orientations are scheduled for 11:30am. If you cannot attend at either of those times, please send an email to set up another time.
Completing the orientation will allow you to use the room for your own writing whenever a class, event, or meeting is not scheduled. Come by or consult the Calendar for open times.
We welcome your participation and value your ideas and suggestions.
(Click on a title for more information or to register)
- Writers Holiday Party: Cookies and a Conversation with Karl Marlantes
- Cut Up and Write: Using Literary Collage, Mosaic, and Kintsugi Methods with Eliza Tudor
- After Mary Oliver: Discovering Other Poets Who Inspire with Michele Bombardier
- Write, Read, Respond (with workshop option) with Julie Gardner
- Beyond Blue-Eyed Blonds and Dark and Handsome: Creating Memorable Characters with Megan Chance
- Dive into Children’s Publishing–Writers Tips and Resources with Jolie Stekly
- Weaving Fact with Fiction: How to Make It Work with J.A. Jance
- Needle Pulling Thread: How to Craft a Novel Beginning with Julie Christine Johnson
- Dipping Our Toes In: For New Poets with Lauren Davis
- Partners in Crime: Police Culture, Characters, and Anecdotes with Sandy Terhune-Bickler and Steve Bickler
- Contemporary YA: Writing books from the heart (and what readers, agents and publishers are looking for today) with Jennifer Longo
- Fearless Writing Workshop with William Kenower
- It’s Not Your Mother’s Nancy Drew:Writing Middle Grade Fiction with Kirby Larson
- Demystifying Plot: Raising the Stakes and Getting Unstuck with Michele Bacon
Sallie Maron: writers.lead@BainbridgeBARN.org
Please CLICK to subscribe to our periodic newsletters.
Writers’ Studio Phone: Please note that no permanent staff is maintained to answer the studio phone. 206-842-4475, ext. 215.
Teachers, Events, and Writing Groups
- Publishing Resources
- Jane Friedman on Query Letters
- How to Write a One-Page Synopsis
- Punctuation Tips
- Grammar and Language Tips
- Editing Checklist
- More Editing Tips
- Formatting a Manuscript
- Great Books on Writing
- Writers on Writing
- Website and Blogging Resources
- Creative Writing Software
- Our Amazing Local Book Community