Be our Valentine at the BARN Writers’ Studio Soiree: Saturday, February 10, 7-9 pm!
All You Need Is Love . . .
. . .and chocolate
. . .and wine
. . .and amazing local authors reading original works on love
The Writers’ Studio dedicates itself to offering classes, inspiration, and the support of community so that your story will not go untold.
We have designed a curriculum around four types of offerings: Writing Essentials classes, an Author Series, a Production Series, and Roundtables, Forums, or Salons.
Writing Essentials will be offered each month and include topics critical to mastering the craft or business of writing. Upcoming Writing Essentials classes include the following:
Mastering the Craft
- Sensory Food Writing with Kathryn Lafond
- Researching the Historical Novel with Megan Chance
- Speculative Fiction: Workshop and Craft with Kathleen Alcala
- The Lyric Essay with Ana Alvarez
- Discovering and Developing Character: Do You Know Who I Am? with Dinah Manoff and Warren Read
- An Editor’s Toolkit: How Narrative Works with Jason Black
- Finding Poems Everywhere with Holly Hughes
- Planning, Creating, and Setting Up a Blog with Rodika Tollefson (Part I)
- Planning, Creating, and Setting Up a Blog with Rodika Tollefson (Part II)
- Writing Children’s Picture Books with Jennifer Mann
- Tools for a Life in Art with Pricilla Long
- A Novel in Four Months with Teri Smith
- Young Adult Fiction and Its Conventions with Jennifer Longo
Business of Writing
- Fearless Writing and the Publishing World with Bill Kenower and Bryan Tomasovich
- A Step-by-step Guide to Self-publishing with Beth Jusino
- Formatting Your Book with H.M. Jones
The Writers’ Studio at BARN will also present special events and an Authors Series. An exciting Authors Series recently held was Fiction Writing with Robert Dugoni, a class taught by the bestselling writer of thriller novels, such as the Detective Tracy Crosswhite books.
In our Production Series, you can expect to complete a project during the class. In 2018, two of the Production Series classes will be Finding Poems Everywhere with Holly Hughes and A Novel in Four Months with Teri Smith.
Writers’ Roundtables, Forums, or Salons will take place on the fourth Thursday of each month from 7:00 – 8:30 pm and are free for members. Non-members pay a $5 fee. Note date changes in November. Please click the link on the left for Roundtables, Forums, and Salons. You will see dates and an explanation of each. Click on the calendar for a specific monthly topic and to register.
Members may use Time2Write as a quiet writing time in the studio or use the room anytime a class, event, or meeting is not scheduled. Consult the Full Studio Calendar for open times.
If you are a new member of BARN or an existing member and you want to be involved in the Writers’ Studio, what do you do next? 1. Please register for and attend one of the Welcome to the BARN Writers’ Studio sessions listed on the calendar. Your attendance will grant you fob access to our studio. 2. Attend our classes, workshops, and events at a discounted rate. 3. Register for and attend a Roundtable, Salon, or Colloquy for free where you will meet other writers. 4. Use the studio for your personal writing whenever classes, events, groups, or meetings are not scheduled into it. 5. Organize a writers’ group with other members.
Teri Smith (Studio Lead): email@example.com
IMPORTANT THINGS TO NOTE:
PLEASE CLICK TO SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PERIODIC NEWS BLASTS!
OUTSIDE WRITING RESOURCES